Family Advisory Council
The Rehabilitation Centre for Children and SSCY Centre are committed to engaging families to help improve the quality of services and the family experience related to our programs and services. We want to engage families in our improvement efforts because we recognize that families offer knowledge, perspectives and insights that no one else can provide.
The RCC/SSCY Family Advisory Council (FAC) is a formal group that was established in 2007 and consists of family members, community members and health care professionals. The FAC is also a member of the Canadian Family Advisory Network. The advisors meet a minimum of 4 times per year to provide input and feedback on various strategic goals and initiatives.
During the spring of 2017 we conducted a survey and hosted a Family Forum where family members identified the following ‘Top 5’ areas of interest:
- Presentations or workshops at SSCY Centre
- Social media to connect and be informed
- Family networking (informal coffee get-togethers with other families)
- Transitioning from pediatric to adult care
- Parent mentoring (being matched with other parents/families)
We understand that information, knowledge and family networking are key priorities for families. As a result, the FAC established the RCC/SSCY Family Network in 2017, which provides a link between staff, families and leadership to support family centred care. Membership is open to anyone and gives you access to our newsletter that will keep you up-to-date about activities, special events and opportunities to get involved at SSCY Centre. The Family Advisory Council provides direction for Family Network activities. Email Tessa at firstname.lastname@example.org to become part of the Family Network!
The Family Advisory Council is currently recruiting Family Advisors who:
- Are family members of a child accessing any SSCY Centre services currently or within the past two years
- Are interested in providing input and recommendations from the family perspective to improve services and experiences
- Can help to ensure that SSCY Centre services and initiatives are family-centred and reflect the needs and preferences of families
- Might be interested in being part specific working groups related to their area of interest
Becoming a Family Advisor requires:
- Meeting our general criteria
- Filling out an application telling us about your experience, ideas and interests
- An informal interview with a representative from the FAC
When we choose members, we take into consideration our goal to have a Council whose membership reflects the broad scope and diversity of families who use the services at SSCY. Ultimately, membership appointment is a mutually agreed upon good fit by the applicant and Council leadership.
Meetings will be held in the evenings at SSCY Centre. Meetings will typically be held 4 times per year between September and June. Members will be asked to commit for a minimum of two years and are expected to attend regularly. Members can serve a maximum of three consecutive terms. If you would like more information, please contact Tessa at email@example.com. If you are ready to apply, please fill out an application form.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Family Advisor at RCC/SSCY Centre!