Family Advisory Council
The Rehabilitation Centre for Children and SSCY Centre are committed to engaging families to help improve the quality of services and the family experience related to our programs and services. We want to engage families in our improvement efforts because we recognize that families offer knowledge, perspectives and insights that no one else can provide.
The RCC/SSCY Family Advisory Council (FAC) is a formal group that was established in 1997 and consists of family members, community members and health care professionals. The advisors meet every other month to provide input and feedback on various strategic goals and initiatives.
During the spring of 2017 we conducted a survey and hosted a Family Forum where family members identified the following ‘Top 5’ areas of interest:
- Presentations or workshops at SSCY Centre
- Social media to connect and be informed
- Family networking (informal coffee get-togethers with other families)
- Transitioning from pediatric to adult care
- Parent mentoring (being matched with other parents/families)
We understand that information, knowledge and family networking are key priorities for families. As a result, the FAC established the RCC/SSCY Family Network in 2017, which provides a link between staff, families and leadership to support family centred care. The Family Advisory Council provides direction for Family Network activities.
Membership is open to anyone and gives you access to our newsletter that will keep you up-to-date about activities, special events and opportunities to get involved at SSCY Centre! Sign up for the Family Network Newsletter here.
The Family Advisory Council is currently recruiting Family Advisors!
- A youth who comes to SSCY Centre?
- A family member (like a parent, aunt, foster parent, grandparent, sibling) of a child or youth who comes to SSCY Centre?
- Interested in helping improve services at SSCY Centre?
- Interested in coming up with new ideas to meet the needs of families at SSCY Centre?
Our Council reflects the wide range of families who come to SSCY Centre. Meetings are held in the evenings at SSCY Centre, every other month between September and June.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Family Advisor at RCC/SSCY Centre!