SSCY Centre has many loan programs that you can borrow from. Information about each program is listed below. Please contact a program directly for more information.
SSCY Family Resource Centre Library
- books, videos and DVDs about specific disabilities or conditions
- story books about or including children with special needs
- books addressing the concerns of siblings and parents
- general parenting resources
- education issues
- magazines and journals
Families are welcome to sign out most resources for a four-week period. We are able to mail print and video resources to Manitoba locations outside of Winnipeg.
You can see a list of all the resources we have on our Family Resource Centre page. Contact the Family Resource Centre at (204) 258-6533 for more information.
A Toy Lending Library
RCC Specialized Communication Resources for Children (SCRC) Library
The SCRC Library has over 700 children’s picture books available for anyone to borrow. Picture communication symbols have been added to the text to help with learning and comprehension. For children and youth who use iPads with picture-to-speech communication apps to “talk” (AAC), these adapted story books are now written in their language!
We also have picture-based language learning activities that go with some of our books. These activities help improve language comprehension. They are also a fun way to practice using pictures to communicate.
The SCRC Library is in the Speech and Hearing Junction at SSCY Centre. Books and materials can be borrowed from one to six months. Contact Marjorie at firstname.lastname@example.org or Stephannie at email@example.com to book a library orientation appointment and become a borrower.
RCC Active Living Centre – Short-Term Equipment Loan Program
We would love to see a photo of your child using their equipment! Please visit our Share a Story page for more information.
Equipment available includes:
- Adapted and specialized bikes, trikes, and trailers
- Beach wheelchairs
- Wooden push sleds
- Hockey sledges
- Scooters (EZ-rollers and large rectangular scooters)
- Adapted bowling and curling sets
- Switch-activated ball holding device for bowling
- Balance and agility equipment
- Chill-Out chairs
- Specialized life jackets, flotation devices, and wet suits
- Bob-skates and skate stabilizers
- Oversized racquets and birdies
- Adapted cooking equipment
- Games (eg ring toss, croquet)
- Adapted gardening tools
Items are available to borrow upon the recommendation of the child’s physiotherapist or occupational therapist. For more information, please contact Carol at (204) 258-6537.