Loan Programs at SSCY Centre
Jun 01, 17
There are many different Loan Programs at SSCY Centre that clients and families can borrow from! Here are some of the things you can borrow. Click here for more information about each program.
SSCY Family Resource Centre Library
The SSCY Family Resource Centre is in The Square. In our Library we have over 2000 harder-to-find resources about special needs and general health issues, including:
- books, videos and DVDs about specific disabilities or conditions
- story books about or including children with special needs
- books addressing the concerns of siblings and parents
- general parenting resources
- education issues
- magazines and journals
You may sign out most resources for a four-week period. We are able to mail print and video resources to Manitoba locations outside of Winnipeg. You can see a full list of resources here.
The Take-Out-Toy Service (TOTS) is in the SSCY Family Resource Centre in The Square. TOTS has a variety of specially adapted electronic toys for use by children with special needs, in addition to over 200 developmental toys. Contact us at (204) 258-6533 to learn more about our toys.
Specialized Communication Resources for Children Library
The Specialized Communication Resources for Children (SCRC) Library is in the Speech and Hearing Junction. We have over 700 children’s picture books for anyone to borrow. Picture communication symbols have been added to the text to help with learning and understanding.
We also have picture-based language learning activities that go with some of our books. These activities are a fun way to practice using pictures to communicate.
Books and materials can be borrowed for up six months. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to come for a library orientation and become a borrower.
Active Living Centre (Recreation Equipment)
The Active Living Centre is in The Square. Our goal is to promote active living and healthy lifestyles! We have a variety of equipment that families can borrow to help their child be more active. Families and professionals can borrow equipment for several weeks at a time. Contact us at (204) 235-8873 to learn more about our equipment.
Equipment available includes:
- Adapted and specialized bikes, trikes, and trailers
- Beach wheelchairs
- Wooden push sleds
- Hockey sledges
- Scooters (EZ-rollers and large rectangular scooters)
- Adapted bowling and curling sets
- Switch-activated ball holding device for bowling
- Balance and agility equipment
- Chill-Out chairs
- Specialized life jackets, flotation devices, and wet suits
- Bob-skates and skate stabilizers
- Oversized racquets and birdies
- Adapted cooking equipment
- Games (e.g. ring toss, croquet)
- Adapted gardening tools